Saturday, December 30, 2006

Alan Dyson: inspiration from the At-the-Loft artists


Alan Dyson: consuming fire1
Originally uploaded by trudeau.
I grew up in Ruston, and as a fine arts major at La. Tech, newly introduced to the "Great Gator Group" (Clyde Connell, David Horner, Jerry Slack) and the work of Lucille Reed, Lynn Gautier of "At-the-Loft" I thought that Shreveport was some kind of artistic Mecca.

This was the era when the Creative Craft Alliance was located on Dalzell St. in Highland. Lucille Reed was doing her Mind Trap pieces with braided fabric and pallette lumber, Lynn Gautier was doing huge museum pieces of painted screen wire, and Clyde Connell was creating her revolutionary "Earth Ruptures" out on Bistineau. I was blown away that this kind of talent - and such artistic wisdom resided right here in Louisiana.

At this time, my own work expanded from the confines of my studio into the environment in the form of site sculptures that I preserved with photography - I now consider this the best work of my life - but at the time I was less sure, and wanted the thoughts of Clyde, Lucille and Lynn.

I drove to Shreveport on the off-chance that I could see them At the Loft, and as luck would have it - they were all three leaving as I pulled up. They patiently waited as I manipulated the large framed pieces out of the car. It was Clyde that exclaimed a life-changing "ALL RIGHT!!" when she saw the image of a door, standing out on the surface of Lake Bistineau, engulfed in flame. Nothing could have meant more to me at that moment back in 1978.

At the Loft was a meeting ground for some of the brightest artistic minds I have ever encountered. Nevelyn Brown, Danny Williams, Tama Nathan, those mentioned above and many others all working in a professional space, producing museum quality work.

I hope we can identify and cultivate such spaces where the creative spirit can thrive, and our architectural, and cultural heritage can be preserved and celebrated.

AD

1 Comments:

Blogger Grace W said...

My name is Grace White. My father, Marvin L. White, was apart of the Great Gator Group and knew Clyde Connell as well as Jerry Slack. Thank you.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home